Self Motivation and Goal Setting for 2020
Start the year off well, with our tips for self motivation.
1. Revisit your New Year’s resolutions
2. Think of undesirable tasks as a means to an end
3. Think about all the ways in which your job benefits others
4. Set goals
Goal Setting with S.M.A.R.T Goals
The S.M.A.R.T. model is a great way of keeping your goals on track and giving them the best possible chance of success.
- Specific: Goals need to be as specific, clear and concise.
- Measurable: The need for your goal to be specific is highlighted when you try to measure it. This needs to be relatively easy.
- Achievable: What is involved in achieving the goal? Do you have the resources?
- Realistic: Is your goal possible given constraints such as time and/or money?
- Timely: Ensure that you set timeframes around your goals. This is where it becomes important to break goals into smaller parts/tasks.
It’s important to include some flexibility around your goals and review them on a regular basis. Unforeseeable changes may occur throughout the year which impacts on the relevance of your goals, or your ability to achieve them.
Finally, a values-based approach helps provide the rationale as to “why” you are aiming towards the goal in the first place. The idea is that achieving the goal is a part of something bigger, and is not in itself a means to an end.
5. Break tasks into smaller pieces
6. Tell someone what you intend to do
7. Manage your time
8. Don’t put off for tomorrow what you can do today
9. Reward yourself
10. Create an accomplishment log
To download the full tips, download our Self Motivation Postcard here.