Manager Support is an advisory service for managers, team leaders and other members of staff responsible for managing employees. Manager Support assists with situations that involve difficulties or problem in workplace communication, behaviours or performance. The service is provided by senior EAP counsellor via telephone or face-to-face consultations.
1. Issues that can be addressed through Manager Support
- Managing Individual Employees
- Dealing with difficult employees
- Managing an employee who is behaving unusually
- Where there is a concern that an employee may self-harm
- Managing an employee with substance abuse
- Managing an employee with a mental health problem
- Communicating with an employee on poor work performance
- Encouraging an employee to use the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
2. Managing groups or teams
- Breaking bad news to employees
- Dealing with organisational change processes
- Managing a traumatic event in the workplace
- Debrief following a communication with team
- Facilitating team cohesion
The senior EAP counsellor gains an understanding of the workplace situation and then discusses with the manager the best way to deal with the issues. Possible approaches and strategies that are based are on principles of human behaviour and evidence-based interventions are talked through.
Manager Support, like counselling is a confidential service. The fact that a manager has used the service is treated as confidential together with whatever is discussed between the senior counsellor and the manager in a session.